Below Is Our Guide To Help You Make The Decision On If You Should Pack Yourself or Hire a Professional?
If you have a move on the horizon, you’re probably strategizing the best way to get it done. Who will do the packing is one of the first things you need to decide.
You have two basic options:
- Pack the contents of your home yourself,
- Or, hire a professional moving company to do it for you.
Numerous variables will go into your decision, including your budget, the amount of time you can devote to packing, your comfort level packing fragile items and the types of household goods you own
Many people assume they can’t afford full-service movers. But when you realize all the services that packers provide, you may reassess the situation.
Professional packers do much more than put household goods into boxes. Below is a basic list of services offered by professional packers:
- Take mirrors off dressers and pack the mirror so it doesn’t break.
- Disassemble furniture when necessary and label the parts.
- Disconnect electronics and label wires for easy setup.
- Create shipping containers for unique or oddly shaped items.
- Safely secure televisions in specially made crates or boxes.
- Wrap fragile items in paper and pack carefully in an appropriate box.
- Hang your clothing in a wardrobe box so it arrives wrinkle-free.
- Unhook washing machines and dryers.
- Label boxes with the contents and room of origin.
- Note serial numbers for electronics or high-value items.
When getting quotes from a professional moving company, make sure you clearly ask and understand what the movers will and won’t do. Moving companies are not created equal and some may include services that others don’t.
Generally speaking, most moving companies will not pack or move:
- Firearms and ammunition
- Propane tanks
- Gasoline or kerosene
- Oxygen tanks
- Lighter fluid
- Paint, stains or paint thinner
- Household cleaners and chemicals like bleach
- Pool chemicals
- Perishable foods
You may need to plan to move these items yourself. But be sure to ask.
How much do professional packers cost?
Packing costs vary depending on how far you’re moving, the time of year and the exact services you purchase. For instance, if you only want packers to handle your fragile items, the cost may be a couple of hundred dollars. If you want them to pack everything in your home, the expense could be in the thousands of dollars.
Packers generally work for either a flat rate or an hourly rate. Most long-distance moves are charged at a flat rate. You’ll pay by the number of cartons and boxes, regardless of how long it takes to pack them. Local moves are typically hourly rate jobs.
Pros of hiring professional packers:
- It saves you time – Packing on your own may take weeks. You’ll lose access to the items you pack, and you’ll have to find a place to store the packed boxes until moving day. You’ll miss out on quality time with your family, and you’ll have to source and purchase all the supplies like paper, tape, boxes, cartons and more.
- It reduces stress — Moving is stressful, so packers take a big task off your plate. You’ll need to be available to answer questions as the packers are working, but you’ll be free to attend to other moving-related responsibilities, relax or work.
- It keeps you from getting injured — Packing can be strenuous. By hiring professionals, you save yourself physical discomfort and potential injuries.
- It’s a good value — Professional packers have everything they need to do the job quickly. From supplies to experience, professionals can do the job efficiently while ensuring your household goods arrive safely.
- It shifts liability — When you hire a professional moving company, they assume responsibility for the things they pack. If you pack everything yourself and an item is broken or damaged, the company that moves the boxes usually isn’t liable. However, if they packed the boxes, the moving company would assume responsibility for the damage.
Cons of hiring professional movers:
- It costs money — Having your entire home packed by professionals won’t be free, obviously. However, most companies will allow you to buy services a la carte, so you only pay for what you need.
- It’s invasive — Sure, it’s a bit odd for strangers to touch everything you own. But when you hire a professional company with honest and reliable workers, you have no need to worry about theft. And if there are items that you’d rather the packers not handle, just say so.
Hire a reliable moving company, like Veteran Moving Group
Whether you’re looking for a whole-house pack or just a few items, be sure you hire a reliable, experienced company. Veterans Moving Group offers free quotes for packing services, including fixed-rate pricing so you know exactly what to expect. Contact us today for a free quote for our packing and moving services.